What is BLAB?
BLAB.im is like Periscope on steroids. It is where four people can video chat together as an audience watches, give props, comment and can instantly switch places with one of the four video chatters. -Including the host who can kick people out too.
Blab is good because...
- It can be used on any "smart" device. - Unlike Periscope, You CAN use this social tool on you laptop.
- 4 Open interchangeable seats - Can it get any better??
- Socially integrates with Twitter & Facebook (Plus you CAN archive the videos on Youtube)
- You CAN record your BLAB or not. Totally fine either way.
- Recorded BLABs stay forever - Yes your recorded BLAB can stay there forever. Once the replay is ready BLAB sends you a e-mail with a embed code for your blog or website. You CAN archive the videos on Youtube too!
- Fun, new and a different way to present information, collaborate and network!
Since Twitter owns BLAB their are a ton of similarities to Periscope. If you want to host a blab or pop into a blab you'll need to have a twitter handle/account. (Like Periscope) Once in the BLAB itself you can comment and "give props" like periscope hearts.
Social Media Examiner has a GREAT article that walks you step by step on setting up you Blab
When you're in a blab there are some things to check out. Let's go around the screen:
BLAB Dashboard Broken Down
- Chat box - Anyone who is logged in with twitter can comment OR call in.
- Call in Button - Start your live stream & join in the conversation.
- Question Box - You can highlight your questions by using "q\" in the comments box
- Record Button - You CAN record your BLABs & embed them onto your website OR upload them into Youtube.
- Social Share Buttons. "Tell a little bird" - Twitter & "Tell your aunt" - Facebook. When you social share on Twitter, it comes with a GIF mini video. If you don't want to share that just hit the red "X".
- Total Views - How many people have "popped" into your event
- Live Views - How many people are watching LIVE & Logged into Twitter
- +2 (Or what ever number) are the amount of people watching but not logged into twitter.
- Mentions - Is the mentions of you using the @
- In the center is the video chatters. You have Host, Co-host and Guest. Each is marked with a color circle next to their name. Host is a person who started the BLAB & can change the topic or title. The Co-host can take over in case the host loses connection or has to leave. Guest are guest to the BLAB. They can be kicked out by co-host OR the host.
- Props - Is like "hearts" in Periscope. Like cheering.
- Mute - You can mute any of the speakers.
I realize that I compare BLAB & Periscope in this post a lot. But please realize the two platforms are like apples & bananas. They both have a different approach to live stream broadcasting. I think they both work well for what they were made to do. So PLEASE - don't be a loyalist to just one or the other. We can't have another Facebook vs. Twitter war. Both of these live broadcast steam systems has its own ups & downs. I personally do not prefer one or the other.
Hot Key's to enhance your BLAB Experience
- q\ > Highlights questions
- @HELP > A Team member from BLAB will rush into save the day!
- /light > Turns the comment box white with black text
- /dark > Turns the comment box back to default white text with a black background
READY TO TAKE YOUR BLAB GAME TO THE NEXT LEVEL? CHECK OUT BLABBING FOR BIZ>>
Tips to make the most of your BLAB Time
- Don't constantly press the "Tell a Little Bird" or "Tell your Aunt" social share buttons - BLAB will flag you as spammy and you might get locked out.
- If someone asks a question you also want answered, click the star to vote it up. That way your host know it's a question that needs answering!
- I suggest people listen or watch on their desktops/laptops. It's easier to keep up with the video and the chat at the same time.
- Subscribe to BLABs you want to watch. That way you get a extra reminder that they are happening. Also subscribe to the BLAB hosts you want to follow. Whenever they have a new BLAB up incoming you'll be the first to know!
- Click the Yellow button below to follow me on BLAB & we can connect on #Createyourmap!